Successively operating on VMWare on AWS; Know its myths & considerations!
Back in 2016, Amazon & VMWare announced partnership that would make VMWare make available on Amazon Web Services (AWS). Such fusion flowed in capability of the organization to operate their software in both AWS cloud and on their on-site premises. Such movement made it easier to move in hybrid cloud to the public cloud.
Those who used AWS previously may have found effortless revolution on Amazon Machine Instance. But working on VMWare Cloud is different and there are things that one needs to truly understand before completely shifting your applications and data over it.
Operating VMWare on AWS Extends Availability
Client’s of VMWare Cloud possess the ability to route their whole visualized infrastructure including cloud computing, data storage, networking within the defined software data center. Managing this on the pinnacle of AWS enlarge their reach potentiality due to the numbers of data centers offered by Amazon.
Such web data centers make it simple for organizations to incorporate optimization and redundancy for performance based on location.
Several used cases of VMWare Cloud on AWS
VMWare and AWS are utilized by IT department for instant solutions. When technologies are combined, robust solution are offered including;
- Uncomplicated data migration to cloud.
- Simplicity to migrate and scale data centers on demand capacity of your SDDC in minutes.
- Ensure uptime with secure cloud-based disaster recovery solution across multiple data centers.
- Application development integrating automation tools to speed up delivery times.
Utilization of AWS Security Features
Two types of networking used by VMWare for AWS are VMware NSXT and VMware NSX. The type of networking shall determine the security features available on VM Cloud.
In addition to this service, AWS provides quick answers to enhance their security postures. Few offerings include;
- Firewalls built in Amazon VPC along with web application firewalls, encryption in transit across all services and create private dedicated connections.
- DDos mitigation through Amazon Route 53, Amazon CloudFront and auto scaling.
- Trouble free data encryption through AWS key management service.
- Greater visibility with better tools for monitoring and logging.
- Multi-factor authentication, access management and directory service integration to control every access from several locations.
Utilizing VMware on AWS provides number of solutions and options for effective and secure operations by adding technology to mitigate uncertainty risk including human error.
When an IT team is tasked to incorporate new technology in the environment, there are chances of mismanagement or misconfigured, leading towards security vulnerabilities or downtime.
Several risks are associated with it. To combat this, many trusted partners and organization help them guide through the decision as well as the implementing process. Having both experience and knowledgeable partners ensures successful project completion.
Myths about Backup Solutions on AWS
There exists myriad of myths surrounding cloud computing. Inappropriately, many decision makers believe these myths and evaluate their back up solutions which give them false alarm. So, lets one by one address those fake implanted ideology;
- Cloud is not a secure platform
If you throw in backup data on AWS plan without taking any measures to protect the infrastructure and user accounts, then it’s absolutely not secure. However, AWS build in numerous security feature to make the transition process secure.
- Equal disaster recovery
Backups are essential for disaster recovery plans. Having a true, tested disaster recovery plans seeks for level of expertise, time and effort. Don’t assume, that moving to AWS will satisfy the whole of disaster recovery attempt.
- Single hand is enough to take care of entire data centers
AWS makes it easier for flexible storage options, other features and good pricing. If you don’t plan and execute you will be lashed by solutions. If this happens, you need to restore data causing serious trouble.
Several organizations take help from specialists, to plan out their best suited disaster and recovery process.
- Retired AWS back up solutions, which you think is still feasible to implement
When Amazon informs you about the security responsibility “in” the cloud. It means you are responsible for every action “in” cloud. If you go through the service level agreement, Amazon clearly states that every of their clients are in charge of their own backups.
Even though they provide you with solutions, tools and flexibility to back up with solid backup strategy, your in-house team is responsible for implementing and planning.
Considerations when developing Disaster Recovery Strategy on AWS
If you have ever worked in the organization who has gone through several disruption in the system, application or services. For the ones, who hold responsibility to put in the disaster recovery plan, cloud service live AWS had made it easier.
But before formulating one, there are things you need to consider;
- Know your metrics
Success is determined by measurable metrics. Mainly organization has set two common metrics taking care of the overall disaster recovery strategy and organizational goals.
The primary one is Recovery Time Objective (RTO). If you have Service Level Agreement (SLA), it dictates the total time frame which could downturn the time frame. The second one is Recovery Point Objective (RPO). This purely dictates the window of time where data loss is acceptable.
- Select your kind of recovery method
Disaster recovery options hosted by Amazon fits with every organizations irrespective of their size, budget with multiple options.
- Back up & Restore: This is a back up option where back up options can restore Import/Export. Where options of taking snap shot is available.
- Pilot Light: A minimal version, where the critical version of element operates in cloud. Full scale production can be used for pre-configuring Amazon Machine Images (AMI).
- Multi-Site Solution: Active solution is configured both in AWS and existing on-site infrastructure. You can easily adjust your DNS and sent your traffic to AWS for minimal downtime.
RTO & RPO can firmly affect your decisions. Failure to meet these two metrics, where you could invite trouble by violating other agreements or SLA which may sternly damage your reputation.
Creating a successful disaster recovery plan brings in a trusted partner who can flow in staff to a right direction. Not only do they help find out right plan but they also help to include disaster recovery solution in every AWS success.
Binary IT is a prolonged managed IT service provider in the whole of Sydney, Australia. We have been working in this field past years and have been continually building adaptability to synchronize every risk associated risk.
To know more about our service, do contact us, we will be there to cater your issues quickly!